Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th of July!

I can hardly believe that July has already rolled around and that we are celebrating Independence Day this weekend. It's summer time!





I am fortunate to live in a neighborhood that is home to a fantastic farmer's market on Saturday mornings, held year-round. Visiting the market is part of my Saturday morning routine, especially during the summer when my favorite fruits and veggies are at their peak. This weekend I purchased some delicious strawberries and cherries, as well as some red lettuce. I enjoy having the strawberries on my cereal at breakfast and the cherries are a tasty snack during the work day. And I love salads, so the farm-fresh lettuce was a perfect choice. Additionally, my friend Kathy has a garden in her back yard and it was very nice of her to give me some beets and zucchini. I've already cooked up the beets and will be using them on my salads this week. As for the zucchini, I'm planning on chopping it up and freezing it until I can make a loaf or two of zucchini bread.





In addition to making French macarons earlier this week, I also spent some time making a batch of plum jam. This was my first attempt at making jam so I wasn't quite sure how it would turn out, but all went well and it tastes amazing. I've been enjoying it on my toast at breakfast. Without a doubt, homemade jam is the best. I ended up with quite a few jars of jam so I will be able to share it with my family and friends. Can you just imagine having some of the plum jam on a homemade scone fresh from the oven? Bliss!





In honor of the 4th of July and summer, I decided that it would be nice to have a hot dog, chips and potato salad for dinner tonight. I think my mom makes the best potato salad, however since she and my dad are celebrating the holiday in Oregon this year, I decided to make my own version. Although I didn't follow a recipe, it turned out very tasty. I couldn't resist snapping a photo of it, along with my entire meal. Happy Birthday, America!





I'll be wrapping up my vacation, and the 4th of July weekend with a concert tomorrow. I have been looking forward to this event for quite some time, especially because Colbie Caillat will be one of the many performers making an appearance. I've been wanting to see her perform live, ever since her first hit "Bubbly" was released a few years ago. Other artists include Sarah McLachlan, Heart, and Miranda Lambert.


Here's a summer quote for you to ponder:


A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken.
-James Dent

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wonderful Washi Tape

If you have a passion for paper-crafting you have probably heard about the latest craze - washi tape!  And perhaps it's already part o...